We always aim to provide a high level of teaching and learning, using a variety of methods and materials. All our courses include at least 15 hours of quality English tuition. Each lesson lasts about 60 minutes.
Our teachers work with their students to:
- develop reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- learn grammar, vocabulary and functional language in contact
- use realistic situations to practise and improve fluency
- analyse English language through text and dialogue
- highlight pronunciation problems and practise more natural English usage
- develop self-study techniques and build confidence in error correction
At the end of the course, each student receives and attendance certificate with their current level indicated and short report with linguistic advice from their main teacher.
Every Country Cousins course is packed with activities, excursions, local visits and sports, all carefully designed to be both educational and fun.
The programme of activities and trips is chosen to be suitable for your age and to help you make new international friends, practise your English and have fun from you very first day in North Devon until you leave.
You can enjoy:
- an action packed programme of sports or local visits
- fun evening activities including discos, karaoke, barbecues, sport competitions and international talent shows
- day trips to Exeter city, Exmoor National Park, attraction parks and Dunster Castle
P.A.L.S is a scheme set up by Country Cousins in collaboration with the local youth service and Devon & Cornwall Police. The primary objective is to use local people from the Ilfracombe area to assist with integrating our international students into the local community. Not only has working with the local teenagers assisted in reducing conflict with foreign language students, but it has also provided them with the opportunity to participate in activities with our students, but it has also provided them with the opportunity to participate in activities with our students.
The success of this voluntary youth scheme has led to the P.A.L.S receiving awards such as 'Pride of Ilfracombe' and 'Crime Beat' back in 2010, in recognition of the efforts the members put into making the local community a safer and integral part of international students' time in the town.
In 2014 the scheme won the British Council International ELTon Award for 'Local Innovation'. This has been a very positive initiative for all concerned.
The teenagers that are involved with the scheme are encouraged to befriend the students, and in return we hope that our students will be more likely to talk to them if they have any problems during their stay.
In return for their involvement in this scheme these young people can achieve accreditation and awards through different governing bodies. Being part of this scheme is a fantastic opportunity for our local teenagers to develop interpersonal skills with specific emphasis on building sociable and international relationships.